How has the Healthy Breakfast Challenge been going for everyone??
We have been having some major fun here. My roommates and I enjoyed a baked pumpkin French toast casserole, a la Chocolate Covered Katie, on the weekend. I used xylitol and stevia to sweeten and my non-veggie, regular-eating roomies didn’t even detect the different sweeteners or the tofu used. It was a hit!
Yeah, it didn’t come out too cleanly, but it tasted great…
To be honest, I didn’t taste the pumpkin that much, so I would say you could quite easily make it without – perhaps up the other sauce ingredients a bit, or not. However pumpkin does provide a fantastic array of nutrients so you could do the opposite and try increasing it to 1 cup of pumpkin for the recipe. I haven’t tried this but let me know if you do!
Thanks to everyone for sharing the news about the challenge – Elle, Annie, Sara, Karey – and for all of you for participating! Some of you have been great about sending in your breakfast pics regularly, using the hashtag #healthybreakfastchallenge – if submitting on Twitter – and I have loved seeing all of your posts; they have definitely given me inspiration for quality breakfasts!
And because so many of you live on-the-go lifestyles there are some great ideas in here for healthy rushed breakfasts too. So take a peek at what you guys have been enjoying…
Clare at Flake and Cake has had a variety of breakfasts over this past week!
- Yogurt and fruit when in a rush
- Oats with yogurt and berries when there’s a bit more time to cook at home
Elle at We Can Begin to Feed cooked up some delicious and healthy concoctions, like:
- Banana protein cake with yogurt and fresh blackberries picked locally in BC
- Flourless protein pancakes with cooked apple and yogurt
- Quinoa with yogurt and peach slices canned in spring water – all in a Tupperware for on-the-go nutrition!
- Oats with protein powder, cinnamon, yogurt, berries and hemp hearts
- Eggs on sauteed veggies with half a fresh pair
Karey at Nutty About Health came up with some droolworthy dishes:
- Strawberry French toast with chocolate peanut butter and sugar free syrup
- Chocolatey peanut butter pancakes
- Stacked French toast with bananas, chocolate peanut butter and turkey bacon on the side
Nadja (on Twitter here) sent in some breakfasts also:
- Oats with a mashed banana
- Amazing breakfast smoothie with banana, lemon juice, orange and apple
- Baked apple filled with ground hazelnuts and a little lemon juice
- Oats with sliced-up orange
Lucie at Fit Swiss Chick sent in:
- Oatmeal with banana, cinnamon and almond milk
- Blueberry protein cream made with 100g lowfat Greek yogurt, 1 scoop Sunwarrior vanilla protein powder, 1 T stevia, dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
Sara at My Less Serious Life sent over her breakfast cereal mix:
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs with All Bran, sliced banana and cow’s milk
I’m so impressed with how much variety and creativity you all have with coming up with healthy breakfasts. I can’t wait to continue to see what you come up with as the holidays draw nearer. Remember that breakfast fuels us for the day so starting off with a healthy one is always key!
If any of you have any concerns about your health or diet please drop me a line! I’m still studying so can’t coach anyone yet but I would love just to try to help in any way I can!
And remember – if you want to participate, info is all here.
Keep those Challenge pics coming in now…and I will link this post up to Healthy Diva Eats’ Marvelous in My Monday link party!